I am so excited to show you my fireplace redo on the cheap! I fell in love with this house the instant I saw it, and new that I’d soon being calling this place home. The fireplace in the master bedroom was just an added bonus! But, it was one of those fireplaces from the 70s with all the really heavy, dark lava rock. A major turn off for most people. I don’t mind it so much, but the rocks were REALLY dark, so not only did it date the room, but it kept it too heavy for my taste. Not wanting to go through the mess of tearing it all the way out and rebuilding (although that’d be cool too), I thought I’d see what I could do to just lighten things up a bit. I’m pretty happy with the results, and spent less than $20! Whoo Hoo!
Here is what it looked like. You can see that on the right side I’d already started to lighten the stone. I just wanted you to be able to see the contrast. This stones on the right side have had a mixture of white paint and water brushed on. This is just one coat, which may have been enough, but I kept going.
I have one coat almost complete here. So, I just grabbed a sample jar of paint in white. Some store give these to you for free, I think I had to pay $5. I poured about a tablespoon of paint into my mixing jar, and added about 1/2 a cup of water. Thats it!
All done with the first coat on the top half. Still haven’t done the hearth. But starting to really love this new look!
This is now two coats up top and one on the hearth. The top of the hearth is a smoother stone, so when I painted those, I waited just a minute or so and then wiped the paint off with a rag. It worked really well!
I dries pretty fast, so you can do multiple coats pretty quickly. This is an afternoon project for sure. Although, I drug it out over several weekends. I also painted the grout in between the rocks because it was a super dark brown. But it might be cool to leave it – all just depends on your taste! This picture is after 3 coats.
I’m not sure the pictures do it justice, but after the entire thing received 3 coats of diluted white, I took another brush and using a dark grey paint (another sample jar) I just barely brushed over the rocks so that the grey only landed on the high bumps. Use a VERY, VERY dry brush for this. I had far too much paint on the first time, and screwed it up. Once I used a dry enough brush, I really started to love it!
Here is the finished product! I am so excited to have a fire tonight. With the storm going on outside, this is the perfect, cozy edition to my girly-girl bedroom!!